The key to enjoying yourself over the festive period is finding balance
For many of us who have committed and worked consistently throughout 2021 to stay healthy, maintaining that healthy lifestyle can be difficult during the festive season.
At Body Balancing Nutrition, we’re here to give you the basic guide to keeping your nutrition and wellness on track through the festive season.
Consistency and balance are key. During this time of year, it’s all but impossible to stick to your routine 100% of the time. Some days will be perfect nutrition and patterns, some days will be terrible. It’s about keeping as consistent as possible and knowing it’s not too late to get back on track.
Tips for keeping a routine when possible:
- Eat smaller, but more frequent balanced meals throughout the day: steady, nutritional eating over the course of the day gives your metabolism a boost so that you can more efficiently process any sweet additions to the diet.
- Snack on veggies: fill a portion of your fridge with plenty of low caloric density vegetables, like leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables.
- Eat more slowly: this gives your body a chance to give you signs that it is full before you overeat. Your loved ones will also appreciate the extra time spent enjoying their company.
- Eat mindfully and with intention: keep an eye on portion size to make sure you’re not over-doing it. Eating off a smaller plate can also help by making you think you’re eating a larger portion than you really are.
- Keep extra hydrated over the festive period: we all know that we should be staying hydrated every day. However over the festive period it is more important than ever. Thirst is often disguised as hunger and by keeping thoroughly hydrated your body will thank you when it’s time to celebrate with any alcoholic drinks.
- Get moving: take a walk with the family or take the dog for a quick jog around the block and enjoy being outside. Physical activity is known to support the lymphatic system which flushes toxins out of the body. It also helps with mental health, which is a bonus!
- Get enough rest: without work to worry about, there is no need to get up too early. The body repairs itself while it sleeps which is why it is important that you get enough rest. Try moving your usual morning exercise session out by an hour or two or train later in the afternoon.
Lastly, remember that it is never too late to get back on track. By staying mindful of what you’re eating and choosing the healthier route when possible, you’ll survive the festive season without too much impact on your fitness and weight-loss progress.
BBN’s best tip of all: still have fun and enjoy yourself – life is all about balance, after all.
At Body Balancing Nutrition, we’re here to support you on your weight loss journey! We offer a FREE 45-minute clinical fat loss consultation, valued at $139, including a free full body composition scan. For a weight loss plan crafted to suit your specific requirements contact us via our web form or phone us directly on (08) 9388 1166.